You are here: Home | MCCC Members | Cricket Clubs | ALREWAS CC


Club Details

Year Founded: 1879
Club Phone Number: 01283 791031
Club Emergency Phone Number: 01283 791519
Club Website:


Club Officials

Chairman Mr A Oliver 01283 791601
Hon Secretary Mr M Astle 01283 500467
Hon Treasurer Mr TM Aston 01283 791519
Hon Fixture Secretary Mrs S Aston 01283 791519
Junior Manager Mr T Aston 01283 791519

Club Teams

Gender Saturday Sunday M/Week U11 U13 U15 U17 Disabled
Male 3 2 1
Female 0 0 0

Club Grounds

Ground One Walkfield Daisy Lane Alrewas Burton-on-Trent DE13 7EW Large Map
Ground Two Kings Bromley CC Crawley Lane Kings Bromley Staffordshire DE13 7JP Large Map

Club History

Although it is known that cricket used to be played at Great Furlong, now the site of All Saints Primary School, Alrewas Cricket Club was officially formed in 1879 when it first played on the current ground at Walkfield. Shortly afterwards a pavilion was erected and a tennis club formed. The outfield was levelled and two grass tennis courts were marked at the church end. The whole area was then fenced off with iron railings.

Between the two world wars, the Club enjoyed a golden era culminating in the famous Chauntry Cup triumph at Lichfield in 1937. The Club still competes in the Chauntry Cup lifting the trophy in 1988 and 1993.

In 1967 the Club acquired a new wooden pavilion which was opened by Rachel Heyhoe before a match against the England Ladies XI. The pavilion was substantially extended in 1973 but the following year it was sadly destroyed by fire. Undeterred the Club completed its fixtures that season and over the winter the Club built the current pavilion which was officially opened in May 1975 by Dennis Amiss of Warwickshire and England.

In 1974 George Burton and Roy Walker started first junior team which played in the Alpine Youth League before the Club became founder members of the Burton & District Youth League. Today the Club fields teams at the U17, U15, U13, U11 age groups as well as Kwik Cricket for U10's.

In 1978 the ground was extended and the outfield levelled to meet the entry criteria of the Burton & District League. The Club initially struggled to make its mark at this level, but triumphs in the Burton Breweries Cup in 1985 and 1993 signalled the start of a golden era. Led by captain Nigel Duggins the 1st XI won the Premier Division championship for 5 years in succession from 1995 to 1999 and recorded further Breweries Cup success in 1995 and 1997. Thereafter, largely due to the consistency of prolific opening batsmen Dave Thompson, Alrewas continued to compete at the top end of the Burton & District Premier Division until the Club finally regained the title in 2005.

Ground One

Ground Two


SME Web Design Ltd